|Based on||Egg and egg yolk|
Gudetama is a Sanrio character introduced in 2013 based on an egg lacking in "spunk". Their name is a play on "gude gude"; used to describe someone with no energy or strength and possibly tama from tamago (egg).. They are sometimes seen with Nisetama-san.
Gudetama came second in a Sanrio contest known as Food Character Election held from September 3rd 2013 until December 1st 2013. The winner was KIRIMI-chan and Kashiwankomochi came third.
Gudetama is hard to motivate and has a negative, defeatist attitude. On it's official Twitter account's profile comment, it says that it goes through trouble and murmur every day and that it only does its (tweets?) because "great people" told it to. It believes that some day it will be eaten. 
It is not always unhappy, as it puts a smile on in a video asking people to vote for it, but unfortunately someone put them down saying that it was "desperate". 
Gudetama Short Anime
- Main article: Gudetama Short Anime.
Gudetama has a short anime series with each episode up to one minute long or so. At the end of (all?) episodes is a song featuring the man in the orange costume, named Nisetama-san (Japanese: ニセたまさん). The number of episodes has exceeded 500.
- ↑ Marketing Melancholy: Sanrio’s Newest Character is a Sad Egg | Eye on Design
- ↑ Official English Sanrio website - Gudetama page.
- ↑ Meet the most unmotivated Sanrio character ever — Gudetama, the lazy egg! | RocketNews24
- ↑ Sanrio Character Ranking - Food Character Election results.
- ↑ Gudetama official Twitter account.
- ↑ Gudetama episodes 65-126 compilation (0:32-0:39).